Thursday, November 6, 2014

In Praise of Babies...


No, I'm not talking about the actual ones, although they’re nice too, as long as someone goes thru pregnancy and delivery (they’re called nieces and nephews) :)

I am referring to small pieces of art. Yes, I love doing very large pieces, but there is a certain freedom in trying out new techniques and processes on a tiny piece before you take them on a larger scale, which usually involves more logistical strategizing.

So on that note, today I forced myself to work on 8 little tiny 2” x 4" pieces for our upcoming open studio (Sat. Nov 22nd!).  These little babies are affordable gift-able versions of my larger work for all those people who say- "I love your work but can’t afford it." These are for them- but I had a helluva good time dancing and painting along the way!  Here are some previews.

the latest batch o' babies....

 

Aged English Lit- a page torn from an old book of English plays that I love for its font!  I worked over and under, scratching and staining along the way…


Green and gold hills- I sawed out a portion of a pour on clayboard, then drew into it with charcoal, added some gold leaf, and etched into it and stained it, adding touches of pan pastel along the way. 



Very excited about this process! Using one of my favorite subjects and materials- leaves!! Wax takes a perfect impression, then staining brings out every vein…. lovely! Not done yet, but a good start.



Magenta baby- cropped a work on paper that never got around to getting finished.  Used some solvent inks for some contrast here! Done? Not sure…






No comments:

Post a Comment