Thursday, March 24, 2016

Little Houses Series- a pictorial development

So this week is a visual of how one of the little houses series- "Trees Waiting for the Blooms" developed. More pictures, less words. If you are reading this- you are probably visual too! 


I started out with a version of song lyrics written on raw wood, then coated with beeswax. 


added some encaustic paint and pastel....

  


  

"Auditioned" a tree sketch I had reduced to fit on this house...



transferred it on...



Then added those written words again- but use graphite paper this time so they'd be more legible, prominent.  I also used the graphite to emphasize parts of the tree. The tree is in the stage right before it starts to leaf out, as are the trees outside right now. I had the 10,000 maniacs song “These Are Days” playing in the background. This verse inspired the text inscribed them around a tree: 

You’ll know it’s true that you are blessed and lucky
It’s true that you are touched by something
That will grow and bloom and you

so I wrote "Waitin for the rains to end, and blooms to start."


  

A little more encaustic detail on the side (and an ice pack to help speed cooling- yes, I am impatient.)




Now to prepare for the roof. 

  


I LOVE bark- but it can be challenging to work with! 
I had to clamp it down two days in row to get it to behave.



I cut up several branches to find just the right feet- 

  







...and the finished piece. 
All the wrestling with the bark for the roof was worth it! love the "modern rustic" look! 


PS- I can feel my writer friends cringing at the long, run on sentences with horrific punctuation and capitalization. Yes, it was intentional. 
I am experimenting with focusing on the images rather than the writing....

Available now on new Etsy shop!




No comments:

Post a Comment