Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Commission Process: The End Result! Shirley and Roger


So when I left Shirley and Rogers commission last week, I thought it was looking good- but then I had been staring at it for days, so wanted some fresh eyes to reevaluate it.  


This week- I still liked what I saw! 
(Small hoop and hurray- that doesn't always happen) 
But still felt some refinements were in order- accentuate some areas, contrast others, bring out some curves and edges, fade others.  So at this point everything was happening on a subtler level- no throwing wax today! So I spent the afternoon with a needle tool incising into the wax surface, and then staining afterwards.  The next day I used pan pastel and the the heat gun to again fine tune some colors and areas.  




From a distance, there is no huge difference, but up close-there are many subtleties either highlighted or removed.  Call me anal- but I  feel strongly that a piece should work on all levels- from a distance, in your heart, and  those who get up close and study it should be rewarded.


  



  

In the end, it was worth it. I delivered it today, and Shirley and Roger were both pleased.  We set it against the wall to check for color, and liked what we saw! 


We went out and celebrated with an alfresco lunch and a glass o wine... 
Done!! 
Thank you Shirley and Roger!




No comments:

Post a Comment