Monday, July 28, 2014

"What can I set on fire today?" or- further explorations into encaustic mixed media….

Today I just had to try some new experiments out of “Encaustic Mixed Media” by Patricia Baldwin Seggebruch.  She feels like a kindred spirit- willing to try any new medium or material!

WOOD GLUE:
So who knew? Spread directly on wood panel, then set it on fire even before it dries.  The wood portions that aren’t covered turn a lovely burnt sienna/umber color… Fun! But stinky. I probably went a little too thick; cause still wasn’t completely dry when I left 5 hours later…. will have to wait to continue that one…but have some lovely organic shapes and tones to work with….


ALCOHOL INKS:
This makes me very happy! I love inks, and of course have a gazillion acrylic inks- but as far as I understand it, I can’t use them with wax.  BUT apparently alcohol inks are kosher. So- I googled what brands are alcohol based, and lo and behold, after digging in the back room, I unearthed some jacquard piñata paints. I used them for painting ornaments- who knew they come in handy this way? See- I can rationalize buying and keeping forever any art supply purchase…so here’s how I played with them…

Poured and splattered first on clapboard

Then covered everything with amber shellac.


And –yes, you guessed it- set it on fire! 
You get this lovely bubbled and speckled surface.
  
detail shows you a bit better….



This isn’t, of course, done- but allows so many lovely entry points to continue working ….

No comments:

Post a Comment