Wednesday, December 9, 2015

An Artful eye to the Holidays...Floral

So after the big push for open studio followed by travelling for Thanksgiving, and now Christmas coming up, my focus has shifted a bit to the holidays.   The next couple blogs will focus on applying an artful eye to the holidays. 

It was my turn to host my high school friends Christmas party. Yeah! I love them and look forward to all the fun at unbelievable decibel levels :), but we don't have a huge house, and was worried how to seat everyone.  So I dragged home my paint-splattered table from the studio to seat 8- but somehow had to make it look good.  My first thought on how to do that was with color- living color! Flowers. You just can’t have enough flowers! First I trolled around on Pintrest to get some ideas, and then armed with inspiration I went to Trader Joes and selected a nice assortment of red, (of course) lime green, and white. (Trader Joes has a good unusual assortment of flowers for reasonable prices.) Then home to do some pruning of my holly and evergreens in the yard. Containers were next- keeping it low- so we don't have to dodge the centerpiece to talk (I have gotten carried away before and ended up with huge arrangements.) 

Here's the kitchen loaded with buckets of flowers, greens, and other potential materials....

I made multiples, so each couple could bring one home. I started out with a bed/layer of evergreens that kind of acted as a base.  I started adding the mum like flowers, and finally roses last. I realized I really wanted to repeat the round shape of the container in the arrangement, so I dug out some old red ball ornaments, and wired them so I could insert them into the arrangement.  I am not big on “bling”, but if its appropriate at any time of the year- its now! And I know my girlfriends love it too. So- dragged out my wrapping box and used up a roll of lime green glittery ribbon (Michaels post Christmas sale) and wired loops of them to add as well.  I think they came out well and my guests were thrilled to bring them home as parting party gifts!  They held up well- these pics are 5 days after I made them...

                 


and the final table....





No comments:

Post a Comment